Thursday, April 7, 2011

Poem: "It's Ours" by Charles Bukowski

there is always that space there
just before they get to us
that space
that fine relaxer
the breather
while say
flopping on a bed
thinking of nothing
or say
pouring a glass of water from the
spigot
while entranced by
nothing

that
gentle pure
space

it's worth

centuries of
existence

say

just to scratch your neck
while looking out the window at
a bare branch

that space
there
before they get to us
ensures
that
when they do
they won't
get it all

ever.
artist: Lee Wilde

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I met a friend of his 15 years ago - Neeli Cherkovski. He taught at the school I was doing my Undergrad in - New College of California. He had finished writing "Bukowski: A Life" but was having trouble getting it published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy. I am the artist of the drawing of Charles Bukowski above and I'm glad you like it. You are welcome to use it on your blog, but would you please include my name as the artist and a link to my website: http://www.leewilde.com - Thank you. Lee Wilde

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi lee! i actually tried to find the credit for this picture and i couldn't, so i'm really glad you found my blog post and commented. i am more than happy to include your name and link, and i do so love the picture :)

    ReplyDelete