Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Ballerina Project

Before my love of all things alternative, I bore an enormous passion for dance, especially ballet. But you already know how that story goes...little girl loves ballet, little girl isn't a good enough ballerina (like most!), therefore girl stops doing ballet. No matter, I'll always adore ballet (and dance around the house to Clint Mansell's Requiem score). Another thing I adore is New York City, ever since I started riding the train down to the village in high school. So when you combine the grime, grit, and beauty of NYC with the ballerina's  phenomenal form, you have created photographs that make me beyond thrilled. The Ballerina Project is like a series of images ripped from my mind. As the "about" page says:
Like a dream becoming reality the Ballerina Project is a series of photographs created by photographer Dane Shitagi. Crafted over the span of ten years, the Ballerina Project is not “dance photography” but an etching of a ballerina's heart and emotions.

Every aspect of the Ballerina Project is carefully crafted and cultivated. The project has  been photographed entirely on traditional photographic film and not with modern digital cameras. The majority of ballerinas who have posed for the project are professional dancers and the minority are advanced ballet students in renown dance schools. The crafts of dance and photography are truly upheld on both ends of the creation of the Ballerina Project.

Here are just a few of my favorites....
 

and all of these prints remind me of one very relevant image (the original shot of the ballerina was actually taken by Dane Shitagi):

No comments:

Post a Comment